Monday, May 26, 2008

Misc. Ramblings

Sunday I watched 60 Minutes and was in a dejavu moment with their report on the Millinials! Have you heard of them? The article is called "The Millinials are Coming!" It was a very interesting article about the kids born from 1980 to 1995 and are entering the work force out of college right now. They talked about the mindset of these kids being a "me" generation and the implications that it will have in the business world. Having spent the last 12+ years in retail and being responsible for the leadership of young employees as well as having kids in that age group, I found it absolutely fascinating! The implications of this new workforce is mind boggling. What the employers may have to do, modify or sacrifice to hire these kids indicates the "professional" work place may be a dinosaur and a thing of the past. One interesting point that they bring up is how we as parents raise our children...ball games that don't keep score and all the children are winners and various things that we have done to provide our children the self esteem that they needed... The bumps and bruises that we as working adults have endured during our working careers; layoffs, facility closures, etc and the kids attitudes that it won't happen to them because they aren't going to give their souls for their jobs...jobs are secondary. And that their attitude is that if you don't like it; I'll go down the road and get more money doing the same thing...take it or leave it attitude. It's amazing the difference in the work force mindsets that are out there right now. Check out the article, it is definitely worth the read.

With the flower beds in bloom, the weeds sprouting up everywhere and the vegetable gardens in need of tending to I have to spend more time reading on the internet because I'm not in the house to watch the TV as much as in the winter so with that being said I want to share another article with you in honor of Memorial Day. The article is called the "Race Against Time To Remember WWI Veterans" This article talks about the last surviving WWI vet and a photographer who is trying to establish monuments to memorialize them. So far he has a permanent monument at the Pentagon and is working on a traveling one and then a National Monument to World War I Veterans. I applaud his efforts.

Did you know that already this year there have been over 800 tornadoes across the country? That is 200 more than the record holding year of 1998 and we haven't even reached "peak" season yet. I can't remember what the death toll is already! My prayers are with all the families that have lost someone to Mother Nature's wrath. Have you ever experienced a tornado? They are incredibly frightening! My stomach is turning into a knot as I write this...

So, here is another QP that I made. I used my own kit for it. You can download it here or click the picture. I hope you enjoy it!

7 comments:

Barb said...

Don't even get me started on this "I'll do what I want" generation. It makes me crazy. We had a big group chat about it at a family bbq this weekend. AAAARGH! How are these people ever going to support their own families and save for retirement some day? Oh well, never mind. happy Tuesday!

AM said...

"ball games that don't keep score and all the children are winners"

i'm not quite in this generation; however the influence is pretty strong. the attitudes, and more especially the parenting things like "all children are winners" really isn't something (we) subscribe to in our parenting. there will always be winners, there will always be losers, no matter how anyone thinks to dispute it and/or raise kids thinking otherwise. sad, imo, because when real life truly hits, it's such a shocker for these kids who've been brought up with this mentality... could go on and on.

anyway, ful QP! :) happy day.

Amanda said...

cute quick page! the tornados this year are crazy and my heart goes out to those affected as well. thanks for sharing!

Creative Junkie said...

I didn't see 60 minutes but that article definitely interests me so I'm going to check it out. I've often thought the same thing ... that I agree in part with the "no score, nobody loses" mentality for some of a child's upbringing but if it's pervasive through their entire childhood, it really doesn't prepare them for the real world. I worry about the work ethic of these young adults just coming into the job place - so different than when I was young. Which was a LONG time ago.

Anonymous said...

We were just talking about this at my son's soccer game last Thursday. The not losing. It's ridiculous. How will children every learn how to deal with losing if we don't teach them? We can't always win and you have to learn how to deal with that, or you'll be a part of these children growing up who will have serious issues.

Great layout!

Robin L said...

Very interesting blog today! I have unleased one of those kids into this world. He did now what loosing is but it didnt seem to help. He went into the Navy and I so hope they can teach him what I wasnt able too. Very lovely layouts and qp.

Elaine said...

It has been an awful year for tornados. We had two in our area two weeks ago and we live near the ocean, totally unheard of, hurricanes yes, tornados no.
Cute Quick Page.
Thanks for visiting my blog