Thursday, May 29, 2008

Lead is Back in the News

Lead is back in the news but this time it's not in China! This time it's in Ohio, news that is! The Columbus Dispatch reports that the higher the level of lead, the higher the possibility that a child will commit a crime in their article "Lead in Kids, Violent Crime Appear Linked." There was a new study published after a nearly 30 year study from the University of Cincinnati in the PloSMedicine Journal and it is linking violent crimes with children who've had major lead exposure. The report indicates that the exposure shrinks the brain and has a major effect on the frontal lobe which is where we process information about consequences and conscious operates from. You can read the report: Association of Prenatal and Childhood Blood Lead Concentrations with Criminal Arrests in Early Adulthood. It is something that we think about now but it makes me wonder if all of us born to the boomers have diminished capacity because of it? Does that mean that we all could be just a little smarter than we are, or a little more conscientious than we are if we weren't exposed when we were young? Or does it mean that our children are couch potatoes and don't go outside to play as much as we did to entertain ourselves. I for one am going to use the excuse from now on when I slip up that I can't remember or multitask because I was exposed to lead as a child. Sounds like a good excuse to me :)

In an article on Nationwide insurance "American Idol's Sanjaya to be featured in Nationwide ad campaign" has signed Sanjaya, one of last years American Idols to a commercial contract. I'm going to be watching for that! It was always fun watching him on AI even though he didn't have the talent that the others had, he was always entertaining.

Wireless Technology is stepping up to the plate! In an article from the New York Times: "Wireless Broadband Boosts Economy" the technology is reported to generate $860 Billion in Gross Domestic Product. That means that there is no such things as leaving work at work anymore?! Guess it ties right in with the Millenials who are more into socializing that working. They can just take the work home with them. In a way that kind of takes me back to one of the statements that they won't fall into the traps their parents did by pouring their heart and souls into their jobs....guess if they are taking it with them, it kind of does mean that. If there is no separation of the two, then they are going to fall right into the same conditions that their parents have been in it will just be a little less blatant.

Well, I have computer maintenance to get done and a data back up to complete so I guess I am done rambling. If your computer is running slower than it used to check out this article from Microsoft on Maintenance that can speed up your computer.

Here is another QP for you that I made with my kit. Thanks for reading my ramblings. I hope that you enjoy this.


6 comments:

AfriDigiDiva said...

Gorgeous QP. That's scary about the lead. I'm going to have to keep an eye on that story.

Neverland Scraps said...

Lead again? I tell you, so much news to keep up with any more!
Love your quickpage. Thank you so much for sharing!

Elaine said...

Beautiful Quick Page, thanks for the story on lead, will keep a watch out

Anonymous said...

I think Alyce is coming up on her hemoglobin check for lead. Don't they do it at about 18 months? I think that goes with that check up.

Thanks for sharing the info! can't wait to see Sanjaya's commercial. Think we'll see a faux-hawk in it?

Great layout!

Barb said...

Noooooo, not more Sanjaya....he's like the Kato Kaelin of American Idol!

Rachel said...

Great info. I'm off to check out the pc maintence article...I think ive been working mine too hard.lol Cute qp!